The Risk, Quality, Health & Safety Department is situated on the lower ground floor corridor of the Hospital.
Tel: +353 1 708 8528
The Quality, Risk, Health & Safety Department at the Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital was established in January 2004.
It was founded following the identification of a necessity for a centralised Department in order to ensure the Hospital complies with all relevant legislative requirements and to drive the implementation of best practice in all aspects of Risk, Quality, Health & Safety Management.
The Department has an essential role in ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors and staff. This role is underpinned by the Hospital’s commitment to achieving the highest standards of patient care in all its activities.
In 2011 a quality focus was added to the department with a particular emphasis on National Standards and Accreditation.
The following are the main aims of the Department
- Development of effective risk management policies to promote safe clinical practice.
- Development and implementation of a Risk Management Programme for the Hospital.
- Dealing with :
- (a) Public liability/malpractice claim
- (b) notification of all incidents/accidents involving patients/visitors
- (c) general insurance claims to hospital insurers and Clinical Indemnity Scheme
- Assisting in the development, implementation, management and auditing of quality programmes/initiatives in conjunction with appropriate Hospital personnel.
- Maintaining a local risk database and performing statistical analysis to identify developing trends.
- Development and implementation of Hospital Policy in relation to the Freedom of Information Act 1997 as amended 2003.
- Assisting where appropriate with the organisation’s staff educational programmes in relation to clinical risk.
- In conjunction with Heads of Departments, to develop and implement “best/safest”” and “patient focused” standards of practice relating to all of the Hospital’s operational functions.
Health & Safety
- Development of effective health and safety management policies to promote safe working practices and procedures.
- Providing expert advice in order to assist management in ensuring the health and safety of patients, visitors and employees.
- Establishment and preservation of an effective Health and Safety Committee.
- Providing specialist services as follows –
- Risk assessment and identification of hazards in the workplace in relation to work practices.
- Evaluation and recommendation of risk control measures in line with the general principles of prevention.
- Review and update of Safety Statements including development of Departmental Safety Statements specific to the services provided in each department.
- Advice and assistance in the adoption of safe systems of working and standards.
- Co-ordination of Fire Safety in the Hospital, involving service of equipment and precautionary measures, evacuation procedures and staff training.
- Co-ordination of safety training programmes for all staff, and retention of related records.
- Advice on legislative requirements in relation to Safety, Health and Welfare at Work.
- Review and statistical analysis of reported incidents, identification of trends and provision of feedback to management and staff in the areas affected with the intention of prevention or recurrence.
- Assist with the development of programmes and campaigns that promote safety awareness and culture among management and staff.
- Co-ordinate the delivery of HSE self-assessments in the Hospital.
- Drive the Quality agenda on hospital committees and co-ordinate a formal accreditation programme for the Hospital.
- Develop and promote service user involvement in service delivery.
- Co-ordinate nursing matrix and KPI development.
- Co-ordinate web site updating.
- Act as link person in a number of national projects.
- Co-ordinating and involvement in Policy development.
We aim to provide and promote a best practice approach in all aspects of Quality, Risk and Health and Safety Management within the Hospital. We strive to attain the highest standards of Risk and Health and Safety Management at all times in order to provide a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors and staff.